Saturday, August 28, 2010

fight? flight?

Sometimes its hard to work through some emotions. It seems even harder when you have no choice but to work through them. if you could press a button and make them go away, you know most of us would. I am not usually one to run away from my problems but i would have loved to say "next!" to this particular one. In this case i suppose you could say I would gladly take the flight option.

today in church, we learnt about the different ways of dealing with conflict or problems. You could use the fight option: be confrontational and aggressive, accusatory and angry. or the flight option: turning a blind eye, playing along and hating every moment of it... there is a third option and i love this one.

FOCUS
In this approach, you express how you feel about a situation clearly, and without malice, accusation or judgment. you simply state your case. You may also include things that you see as results or consequences of that action. However, in this approach, you do not go on to tell the other person how to deal with it or how to solve or. in short, you don't tell them what to do. Leave the choice up to him or her and hope that you have reached them. this respects the autonomy of the other person and makes them feel that they are indeed having discourse with you rather than you talking at them and trying to push them around.

I thought this to be a good approach. FOCUS. I would love to focus on what I am dealing with now, but i have no idea how to. Mostly this is because i have not yes figured out what my problem with the situation is. How am i expected to express what i cant name? its frustrating because, at the same time, i feel that pressing feeling that there IS something wrong and its choking me.

Sigh!! I think it will be a while before I figure this out....I pray for wisdom. Lord I pray for ocurage, dignity, humility and clarity. I need you r help on this one

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Please comment here

Powered By Blogger